FLIR One Developer / Blog / Topics / Flir One for moisture detection?

Flir One for moisture detection?

Home Forums FLIR One developer community General discussion Flir One for moisture detection?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Santiago Santiago 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Author

Profile photo of james
    james

Participant

My downstairs neighbor is complaining about moisture and peeling paint on the balcony ceiling (that is the floor of my balcony). I have already got the balcony waterproofing and flooring re-done once, but the problem has occurred again. Before paying another small fortune to the insulation company, I really want to check myself how and where the water gets under the balcony.
    Can I use my FLIR one efficiently to spot moisture patterns on the balcony (either from top or from bottom, from the neighbor level)? What are the best environmental conditions to do so? Can I just take some thermal images now (its cold, snowing and rather humid) or shall I wait for warmer/dryer weather? Or it is not feasible at all?

TLDR: Can I use Flir One to spot moisture patterns?

Profile photo of Allison
    Allison

Hi James,

Most likely you will be able to use the FLIR One to detect moisture, however, it is dependent on the materials of the building. Some materials insulate too well for the long-wave infrared camera in the FLIR One to see through. You can see a clear example of this by looking at a glass window with you FLIR One. The long-wave infrared rays can’t penetrate most windows and thus you tend to see reflections of the scene in front of the window or just a cool field where the window is.

I’ve found two resources discussing infrared for moisture detection that I think prove helpful: https://www.irmi.com/articles/expert-commentary/infrared-detection-of-water-damage
    and https://www.flir.com/instruments/moisture-restoration/
    the second link discusses the tool that FLIR has designed for easy moisture detection, it uses a Lepton camera which is the same type of camera present in the FLIR One. This leads me to believe you will be able to do some moisture detections with the FLIR One, however, depending on what model of FLIR One you have the resolution may not be as high and you may not have access to the pro features of the app. The FLIR One also lacks a lot of other features developed specifically for moisture detection in the tool such as processing the data into easy to read graphs and a 2-pin, single-scale moisture meter. However, the FLIR One may still be sufficient for your use case.

Cold weather and high humidity may be problematic in detecting moisture, as there will likely not be as big a temperature differential between the surrounding environment and the moisture. Waiting for warmer weather may increase your chances of success. When attempting to detect moisture I would suggest using low gain mode (low temperature mode in the app) and the “coldest” palette as you will be looking for spots of lower temperature. I would also recommend checking from both the bottom and top of the balcony as the FLIR One will most likely not be able to see through the balcony especially with waterproofing and insulation, but has a higher chance of being able to detect a near-surface moisture pattern

The last thing I would add is that it is possible that you may detect cold spots not necessarily caused by moisture, I would examine any areas where you see cold spots to make sure there is not another obvious cause.

Thank you,
    Allison Torchia

Profile photo of james
    james

Participant

thankyou for the response

Profile photo of Santiago
    Santiago

Participant

Hi, I’m new to the forum, and I need to use a camera to know the percentage of moisture in the sand that passes through a conveyor belt. Is this possible with some flir camera? Thank you

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.