images is to slow

Home Forums FLIR Mobile SDK Development Android Development images is to slow

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Michael 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Author

Profile photo of sun
    sun

Participant

I use sample program from thermal-sdk-android-java-1.0.5 to connect FLIRONE pro and I got the picture.But the image has a delay of about 2 seconds and 4 frames per second.How do I reduce the delay and increase the frame rate.The Compile Sdk version in the Project Structure is API 28: Android 9.0 (Pie).

Profile photo of Gavin
    Gavin

Keymaster

Hi Sun,

I’ve escalated this issue internally to our technical support staff. Hopefully I can get back to you in 2-3 days.

Thanks for your patience,
    Gavin
    FLIR Community Support

Profile photo of sun
    sun

Participant

Hi Gavin:
    Is there any new progress on this issue?

Thanks

Profile photo of sun
    sun

Participant

Hi Gavin:
    I have upgraded my project from the legacy SDK to the latest one (1.1.1).
    We used a thread pool to get ThermalImage and optimize the frame rate, but the program often crashed.
    Must “ThermalImage” be obtained in a single thread?
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Valentin
    Valentin

Participant

Hi sun,
    May I see how you managed to optimize the frame rate using the thread pool?
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael

Participant

Unfortunately there are several performance issues with FLIR’s Android SDK.

We have tested on a variety of hardware and frame rates fall below 2 FPS on even quite powerful Android devices.

Modern phones and tablets can maintain 8+ FPS, but Android TV boxes struggle to manage over 2 FPS. Even the Nvidia Shield can only achieve 4 FPS!

On poorly performing devices, there is nothing you can do to improve the frame rate. Before performing any processing, the frame rate is already under 2 FPS.

Doing nothing in onImageReceived() – 6 FPS
    camera.withImage() … then image.getImage() – 1.9 FPS

After spending several days on this I have come to the conclusion that there is either a strange USB connection performance issue with some devices or a bug in the SDK.

If anyone can shed any light on this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Profile photo of Gavin
    Gavin

Keymaster

Hey Michael,

What camera are you testing on?

Thank you,
    Gavin
    FLIR Community Support

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael

Participant

This question is about the SDK and applies to all FLIR hardware. (Tested with FLIR ONE PRO and FLIR ONE PRO LT on many Android devices)

Most Android devices can not achieve anywhere near 9fps.

There is a bug in the SDK that results in frames being dropped because the SDK developer (falsely) assumed buffers would align with frames. In reality there may be more or less than 1 frame in a buffer – so this bug is dependent on how Android and USB comms fills the buffers.

Easy to fix, but from what I can see, this has been a problem since day one.

If anyone from FLIR wants help to fix this, please get in touch.

The only other alternative is to avoid FLIRs SDK and write your own implementation based on the hardware information found on eevblog.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.