FLIR One Developer / Blog / Topics / FLIR One, legal, question, trademark / What app names are allowed?

What app names are allowed?

Home Forums FLIR One developer community General discussion What app names are allowed?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cal Loo Cal Loo 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Author

Profile photo of Benjamin Hutchinson
    Benjamin Hutchinson

Participant

In order to make a good app name, so people know what it is they are downloading, it should describe what it does. However, to accurately describe an app that works with a piece of hardware, that means including the name of that hardware in the title of the app. In this case though, the name of the hardware “FLIR One” is a trademark of the FLIR corporation, and so including the name “FLIR One” in the title of an app could be considered trademark infringement under the law, since I’m not an employee of FLIR. Would it be permissible to use an abbreviation such as FO in the title of the app? I don’t believe that FLIR has trademarked that FO abbreviation, but since it does refer to a trademarked name, it might still be protected under trademark laws? I’d like some help here, as I’m planning on writing my own app for FLIR One, but don’t want to accidentally break any laws in the process.

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

Hey Benjamin,

Thanks for checking in about that, I blogged on that exact topic recently. Check out http://developer.flir.com/flir-certification-programs/increasing-your-flir-one-app-visibility/ and let me know if it answers your question.

Thanks!

Cal

Benjamin Hutchinson

Participant

Thank you for the reply. I have one more question. Would it be permissible to use the abbreviation “FO” near the beginning of the app’s name? For example, would it be ok to use “FO Awesome App”, instead of “FLIR One Awesome App”, so as to avoid using the actual name “FLIR One” in a way that could violate trademark?

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

I don’t believe using FO at the beginning of the name would violate our trademark but I’m not sure it would help that much either unless people have a reason to search for “FO”. I still strongly encourage something more like “Awesome App for FLIR ONE”.

Cal

Benjamin Hutchinson

Participant

That’s a good point. And one more question, what kind of icons are allowed? How similar to the official app’s icon are they allowed to be? If it doesn’t say “FLIR One” on the icon, and uses a different font, is it ok if it uses the same color scheme (dark blue background with white and yellow letters)?

I was just thinking that after a person installed an app, if they forgot where they left the icon, if they are looking for an app that works with the FLIR One, it might help them find the app if it uses the same color scheme as the official app’s icon. However, again this might run into trademark issues. It would help to know what kind of icon styles are permitted. How far different must a 3rd party app’s icon be from the official app’s icon?

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

Fair question, we don’t address that in the brand usage guidelines doc at http://developer.flir.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FLIR_Developer_Brand_Guidelines_v1.0.4.pdf.

In general if the icon makes it look like the app is from FLIR then it probably won’t be approved. My suggestion is to change something so it’s visibly different from ours. Hope that helps.

Cal

Benjamin Hutchinson

Participant

Thanks for the information. By the way, was this app approved by FLIR?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=georg.com.flironetest_01

I found this one on the Google Play store The icon is similar to that of the FLIR One app, but contains the words “Thermal Camera” instead. Is this a FLIR approved app, or one that was submitted directly to the Google Play store without first submitting it to FLIR? If in fact, this app got FLIR approval, then the icon I’m thinking of making for using for the app I’m working on, I’m guessing would probably also be ok.

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

Thermal Camera has been submitted for approval but not yet approved. They’ll likely need to change their icon to receive approval.

Profile photo of Thomas
    Thomas

Participant

> They’ll likely need to change their icon to receive approval.
    Georg changed the icon for Thermal Camera.

But is the icon from this app (from Ian Butler) conform with the approval process?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novacoast.flirpaint

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Thomas Thomas.

Profile photo of Cal Loo
    Cal Loo

The Android Thermal Paint icon wasn’t submitted to us for review so it isn’t a FLIR-approved App. They’ll likely need to change their app icon because it is too similar to FLIR’s, thanks for pointing it out.

Cal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.